Prepare your home before the surgery
(HealthDay News) -- Recovering from knee replacement surgery takes time, and it's important to prepare your home before the operation.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers this advice:
- Make sure furniture spacing allows for easy movement via crutches, a cane or walker.
- Remove rugs that you may trip on, and fasten any loose cords or wires.
- Make sure you have a firm, high chair with a foot rest.
- Equip your bathroom with a hand rail, raised toilet seat and shower chair.
- Obtain helpful items such as a reacher, shoehorn and long-handled sponge, so you don't have to bend over often.